What is HIE?
Health Information Exchange (HIE) is the process of sharing health-related
information electronically among two or more entities and also an organization
which provides services that enable the sharing electronically of health
information. Health information is protected and exchanged under medical
privacy and confidentiality standard procedures. Secure electronic health
information exchange allows patients and physicians to ensure that patient
health information is available when and where it is needed.
A community HIE can be thought of as a HIPAA compliant private website
and messaging system for credentialed healthcare providers that offers
office automation services and EMR connectivity to allow users to share
patient records electronically.
- Provides a vehicle for improving quality and safety of patient care by
reducing medication and medical errors
- Stimulates consumer education and patients' involvement in their own
- Eliminates redundant or unnecessary testing
- Provides a basic level of interoperability among electronic health records
(EHRs) maintained by individual physicians and organizations
- Provides caregivers with clinical decision support tools for more effective
care and treatment
- Creates a potential loop for feedback between health-related research and