Dr. Desai is a native of Chicago, Illinois and attended Northwestern University's
prestigious Honors Program in Medical Education. He completed his internship,
residency, honorary chief residency, and cardiology and electrophysiology
fellowships at Stanford University Medical Center. He has significant
expertise with both robotic RF (heating) and cryo (freezing) techniques
in the catheter ablation and cure of all heart rhythm disturbances including
atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, supraventricular tachycardia, premature
ventricular contractions, and ventricular tachycardia. He specializes
in diagnosing and treating palpitations and fainting, and he has extensive
experience with heart rhythm monitors including insertable loop recorders.
He is involved in clinical research and has numerous academic publications.
He is a sought after speaker and has lectured regionally and nationally
to patients and physicians. In his personal time, Dr. Desai enjoys being
with his family, singing and playing guitar, yoga, and reading.
Published Papers in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Rapid Assessment of Left Ventricular Systolic Function in a Pacemaker Clinic
Using a Hand-Carried Ultrasound Device. J Interv Card Electrophys. Published
online October 19, 2006
- Predictors of Appropriate Defibrillator Therapy Among Patients with an
Implantable Defibrillator that Delivers Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy.
J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2006. Published online February 3, 2006. doi:
- Prognostic Significance of Quantitative QRS Duration. Am J Med 2006;119:600-6.
Implications and Outcome of Permanent Coronary Sinus Lead Extraction and
J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2005;16:1-8.
- Editorial Commentary – Effect of Atrial Fibrillation on Chamber Dimensions.
Heart Rhythm Journal 2005;2:25-27.
- Termination of Epicardial Left Ventricular Tachycardia by Pacing without
Global Capture. J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2005;16:92-94.
- Long-Term Retention of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol
Textbook Chapters, Invited Articles & Reviews
- Premature Ventricular Contraction. In: eMedicine 2008.
- Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators: Clinical trials-Primary and Secondary
Prevention. In: UpToDate, Rose BD (Ed), UpToDate, Wellesley, MA, 2005.
- Techniques of Prediction of Arrhythmia Occurrence and Stratification for
Sudden Cardiac Death. In Wang P, Naccareli G, Rosen M, Estes M, Hayes
D, Haines D, editors. New Arrhythmia Technologies, 1st ed. Blackwell Publishing
- Pharmacologic Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation. Eur Heart J 2005 (in press).
- The Role of Intravenous Amiodarone in the Management of Cardiac Arrhythmias.
Ann Intern Med 1997;127:294-303\