Dr. Desai is a native of Chicago, Illinois and attended Northwestern University's prestigious Honors Program in Medical Education. He completed his internship, residency, honorary chief residency, and cardiology and electrophysiology fellowships at Stanford University Medical Center. He has significant expertise with both robotic RF (heating) and cryo (freezing) techniques in the catheter ablation and cure of all heart rhythm disturbances including atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, supraventricular tachycardia, premature ventricular contractions, and ventricular tachycardia. He specializes in diagnosing and treating palpitations and fainting, and he has extensive experience with heart rhythm monitors including insertable loop recorders. He is involved in clinical research and has numerous academic publications. He is a sought after speaker and has lectured regionally and nationally to patients and physicians. In his personal time, Dr. Desai enjoys being with his family, singing and playing guitar, yoga, and reading.
Published Papers in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Rapid Assessment of Left Ventricular Systolic Function in a Pacemaker Clinic Using a Hand-Carried Ultrasound Device. J Interv Card Electrophys. Published online October 19, 2006
- Predictors of Appropriate Defibrillator Therapy Among Patients with an Implantable Defibrillator that Delivers Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2006. Published online February 3, 2006. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-8167.2006.00367.x.
- Prognostic Significance of Quantitative QRS Duration. Am J Med 2006;119:600-6.
- Implications and Outcome of Permanent Coronary Sinus Lead Extraction and Re-implantation.
J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2005;16:1-8.
- Editorial Commentary – Effect of Atrial Fibrillation on Chamber Dimensions. Heart Rhythm Journal 2005;2:25-27.
- Termination of Epicardial Left Ventricular Tachycardia by Pacing without Global Capture. J Cardiovasc Electrophys 2005;16:92-94.
- Long-Term Retention of Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2004;44:72-77.
Textbook Chapters, Invited Articles & Reviews
- Premature Ventricular Contraction. In: eMedicine 2008.
- Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators: Clinical trials-Primary and Secondary Prevention. In: UpToDate, Rose BD (Ed), UpToDate, Wellesley, MA, 2005.
- Techniques of Prediction of Arrhythmia Occurrence and Stratification for Sudden Cardiac Death. In Wang P, Naccareli G, Rosen M, Estes M, Hayes D, Haines D, editors. New Arrhythmia Technologies, 1st ed. Blackwell Publishing (UK), 2005.
- Pharmacologic Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation. Eur Heart J 2005 (in press).
- The Role of Intravenous Amiodarone in the Management of Cardiac Arrhythmias. Ann Intern Med 1997;127:294-303\