If toast is your bread-and-butter breakfast staple, it's time to wake
it up with some healthy, flavorful spreads and toppings. The next time
your slices pop out of the toaster, go beyond the usual butter or peanut
butter--or even the super-trendy avocado--and try one of these five suggestions.
Better yet, take toast beyond mornings and transform it into a tasty meal
suitable for any time of day.
1. Ricotta. This creamy, spreadable cheese is a great base for a variety of flavors.
Go sweet by topping it with some lightly crushed berries for the nutrients
from fresh fruit, or opt for savory with a slick of heart-healthy olive
oil, salt and pepper and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios.
2. Pureed beans. Bump up toast with some fiber and protein courtesy of this spread. Puree
white beans, rosemary, olive oil and a little garlic, or simply use some
prepared hummus. Combine with some sliced veggies, such as cucumber or
radish, to get more produce in your daily diet.
3. Fig jam. Grape or strawberry jelly may be popular toast toppers, but fig jam changes
up the flavor while also pairing well with other foods. Try fig jam with
a soft cheese (such as gorgonzola or goat cheese) and sliced pears or
4. Smoked fish. Salmon isn't just for bagels. Scrambled eggs, cream cheese, butter,
avocado--experiment with different combos. For a change of pace, swap
the salmon for smoked whitefish or trout. Fish is another good protein
source, and smoked salmon has omega-3 fatty acids; try to find a low-sodium
smoked fish whenever possible.
5. Fresh herbs. Many of the above toppings, as well the popular avocado toast, can be
finished off with a dash of chopped herbs. Add some basil to your hummus
and veggie toast, dill to smoked salmon or mixed herbs over ricotta.
This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical
care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.